Supplements for a Ketogenic Diet
Although no supplements are required, some can be useful.
- MCT oil: Added to drinks or yogurt, MCT oil provides energy and helps increase ketone levels.
- Minerals: Added salt and other minerals can be important when starting out due to shifts in water and mineral balance.
- Caffeine: Caffeine can have benefits for energy, fat loss and performance.
- Exogenous ketones: This supplement may help raise the body’s ketone levels.
- Creatine: Creatine provides numerous benefits for health and performance. This can help if you are combining a ketogenic diet with exercise.
Whey: Use half a scoop of whey protein in shakes or yogurt to increase your daily protein intake.
SUMMARYCertain supplements can be beneficial on a ketogenic diet. These include exogenous ketones, MCT oil and minerals.